A passionate and dedicated storyteller, my radio career has spanned over 25 years around Australia working for many years in commercial radio and from 2001 – 2015 presenting a daily programme on ABC Local Radio. I am now available to work Newcastle/Sydney, other locations negotiable.
I am an extremely experienced interviewer able to complement this work with high order writing skills and the ability to use social media as an investigative, informative, communicative and persuasive tool.
A member of the 2007 Walkley Award-winning ABC Newcastle team, I was also the inaugural winner of the NSW Cancer Council Award for Excellence in Reporting and awarded the 2007 Premier’s Public Sector Awards medal.
In 2015, I have enjoyed extending my skills as freelance corporate writer, copywriter and content creator, public speaker and MC, narrator and editor. I have a keen interest in health, education, social issues and politics, and I’m continuously inspired by the opportunities available to me in the digital content area.
I continue to work independently in my areas of interest producing interviews, copywriting and other digital content. I have studio facilities and provide audio interviews, voiceovers for advertising, narration and fully-produced podcasts.
Over the last six months I’ve provided my services to organisations such as:
- Hunter Institute of Mental Health
- Mindframe Media Initiative
- DFK Crosbie
- Wests Group
- Renew Newcastle
- Telstra Foundation
- One Small Planet
- My Webspot – France
- Slice Wireless
- Focus Creative – Sydney
- Newcastle City Council
- Opal Aged Care
- Newport Capital Group
ABC Radio Jan 2001 — Dec 2014
- Presenter of daily afternoon program – 1233 ABC Newcastle
- Presenter as required of state and national programs and emergency broadcasting
HMRI Foundation Jan 2007 — Nov 2013
- MC – HMRI Annual Awards
- MC – HMRI Open Day seminars
Newcastle Art Gallery Foundation Apr 2015 — present
- 2007 Walkley Award for Journalism – All Media, Best Use of the Medium (team award)
- 2007 Inaugural winner of the NSW Cancer Council award for Excellence in Reporting
- 2007 Premier’s Public Sector Awards medal.
- Journalist – 14 years of journalism experience including the daily research, preparation, production and presentation of an ABC radio talk program and the breaking of local and national news items. My work has been published in many parts of the world. 12 years in commercial radio in various capital cities prior to joining the ABC.
- Broadcaster – I have been presenting live radio programs around Australia on both commercial radio and the ABC since 1989. I have a particular interest in the communication of science and medical research, feature music interviews, local history, education and wellbeing.
- Interviewer – over 25 years I have conducted thousands of interviews with people from incredibly diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- Writer – copywriting, scriptwriting, articles, blogs, promotional material, experienced with various CMS.
- Audio Editor – highly proficient in the use of studio and desktop audio editing programs including Netia, Audacity, GarageBand and Cubase.
- Photographer – 30 years, studied at UTS and Australian Centre for Photography
- Documentary maker – I have produced many documentaries for radio and online on topics such as throat cancer, disadvantage and education, breast cancer, local history, agriculture and many others. These documentaries have aired on up to 60 ABC Local Radio stations and ABC Radio National.
- Social media management and content creation – my use of social platforms is extensive. I managed three official ABC Twitter accounts with accompanying Facebook pages, Instagram and Soundcloud accounts. I have used social media platforms extensively to build an audience and increase the reach of my on-air and online work, to source stories and contacts, to influence change and encourage participation.
- Management of my personal social media accounts on various platforms, and management of several special interest social media accounts.
- I am familiar with various reporting and analytics programs for these platforms including Sprout Social, Hootsuite, Tweetdeck and others. Additionally, I have assisted with the training of ABC staff in the use of social media and with monitoring/response.
- Highly experienced in the development of content for digital and social media technologies including website planning, development and publishing, search engine optimisation and e-communication tools.
- I have proven experience in the creative development of audio and written communications materials, including professional standard writing and editing, and the ability to deliver outcomes within highly pressured timeframes.
- I have extensive contacts across all platforms of Australian media, politics, publishing, music industry and others. I would be described as an influential and frequent user of social media.
- My many years of experience in the broadcasting industry have given me a strong capacity to work to strict deadlines, to prioritise both editorial decisions and resourcing issues, and to multitask extensively.
- I successfully led my small program team for many years with a focus on creating a relevant daily program that both adheres to the ABC Charter and fulfils the requirements of our listeners. The collaborative nature of this work led to the awarding of the 2007 Walkley Award for Best Use of the Medium (joint award) during a time of emergency broadcasting.
- I possess a high level of computer literacy including Microsoft, Apple and Adobe products as well as specialist audio, studio and CMS platforms.
I am the Founder of the Lost Newcastle online social history group which now has a membership of over 20,000 people.
References available on request.